Gram Panchayat Setup :
Grama Panchayat is the first tier of Panchayat Raj institution which comprises of a village or group of villages. The Grama Panchayat consist of such number of elected members as may be notified from time to time by the state election commission at the rate of one member for every 400 population or part their of the Panchayat area. Number of seats reserved for SC and ST is in proportion to population of SC and ST, however at least one seat each is reserved in Grama Panchayat for person belonging to SC, ST. as nearly as may be 1/3rd of the total seats of the Grama Panchayat is reserved for the person belonging to the backward classes. 1/3 rd of seats is reserved for women. Every Grama Panchayat has a president and vice president which are chosen by elected members of Grama Panchayat from amongst themselves as per the provision of section 45 of Karnataka Panchayat Raj Act,1993. Section 49 of Karnataka Panchayat Raj Act, 1993 provides for motion of no confidence against the president or vice president of the Grama Panchayat.
- The Adhyaksha of the Gram Panchayat shall, in addition to the power exercisable under any other provision of the Act or rules made thereunder:
- Convene meetings of the Grama Panchayat
- Have access to the records of the Grama Panchayat, and
- exercise supervision and control over the acts of the officers and employees of the Grama Panchayat including the Secretary
UpadhyakshaThe Upadyaksha of the Grama Panchayat shall exercise the powers and perform the duties of the Adhyaksha when the Adhyaksha is absent, on leave or is incapacitated from functioning.
Functions of Gram Panchayat
- The Grama Panchayat shall perform the functions specified in Schedule I:
Provided that where the state Government or Central Government provide fund for the performance of any function specified in Schedule I, the Grama Panchayat shall perform such function in accordance with the guidelines or norm laid down for performing such function.
Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1) and Schedule I, it shall be obligatory on the part of a Grama Panchayat in so far as the Grama Panchayat fund at its disposal will allow, to make reasonable provision within the Panchayat are in regard to the following matters, namely:
- Providing sanitary latrines to not less than ten percent of the households every year and achieve full coverage as early as possible
- Constructing adequate number of community latrines for the use of men and women and maintaining them
- Maintaining water supply works either on its own or by annual contract by generating adequate resources
- Revising and collecting taxes, rates and fees periodically which are leviable under this Act
- Ensuring universal enrollment of children in primary school
- Achieving universal immunisation of children
- Ensuring prompt registration and reporting of birth and deaths
- Providing sanitation and proper drainage
- Construction, repair and maintenance of public streets
- Removing encroachments on public streets or public places
- Providing adequate number of street lights and paying electricity charges regularly
- Filling-up insanitary depressions and reclaiming unhealthy localities
- Destruction of rabid and ownerless dogs
- Maintenance of all community assets vested in it
- Maintenance of records relating to population census, crop census, cattle census, census of unemployed persons and person below poverty line
- Earmarking places away from the dwelling houses for dumping refuse and manure
- Make provision for or make contribution towards, any exhibition, conference or seminar within or outside the Panchayat area but within the district, or
- Make contribution to any medical, educational or charitable institutions or any other institutions of public utility, within the Panchayat area which are registered under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1961, Karnataka Co-operative Societies Act, 1959 or under any other law for the time being in force.